Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Prison Poetry

I have been reaching out to an inmate since his arrival at Orange County Jail. It started when I was going cell to cell to see if anyone needed anything lie a bible, prayer ect. This inmate was very anxious about his elderly mother who hadn't put money in his phone account. He said, "its not like her, she is all by herself and I am afraid something happened to her." I got her number and gave her a call and turns out she was OK but having trouble with her debit card.

Today I had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time sharing the gospel with him and his bunky. 

When I was done he said, "I have been thinking a lot about the after life." Then handed me the following poem he wrote prior to our conversation.

As I sit in this cell
I say to myself,
"I wonder if I'm going 
       to Heaven or Hell."

There's no doubt in my mind
you know what I've done.
cuz' you sure aint blind
nor are you dumb

You'll open the book
That will explain my life
from the day I was born
till the day I died

You will judge me fairly
no matter what I've done
decide my fait
then you'll be done.

You will let me know
if I'm worthy to go
into the Kingdom of Heaven
        or that place called Hell


Pray that God softens his heart so that he can respond to the gospel and gives me more opportunities to share with him.

4 comments:

  1. Whats good fam. We are an urban youth ministry and record label based out of Central Florida, looking to touch base with Spirit-filled believers and servants of God. Check us out at triumfantmuzik.com, and hit me up @ konviction@triumfantmuzik.com. I wanted to shoot you an email but I couldnt find it on the page so holla at us please!

    Zo aka Konviction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise GOD for this ministry! It is of GOD in CHRIST JESUS of Nazareth! Amen!
    I have joined in prayer with you my brothers and sisters that, The heart of this hungry soul be softened for the sake of his Salvation threw our LORD JESUS CHRIST!! Be blessed and keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, man. Um. Books - want some?

    I've gotta message you about that. And YES I want you to have them.

    (( You are, you know, one of the most gracious friends I've ever had, Robert. ))

    This post brought a tear to my eye, it's right on the money.

    Keep up the good work, brother.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean! Comments that have foul language will not be posted. Nor will comments that do not have the name of our GOD and Saviour JESUS CHRIST in caps.

Search This Blog