Saturday, August 2, 2008

Paul Washer: Propitiation

Propitiation is a word that I ran across while reading, 50 Reasons Why Christ Came To Die, by John Piper. He quoted 1 John 4:10,  "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."

When I read this verse then read Pipers explanation, my eyes where opened wide! This one single word flipped what faith I already had on its head and really opened my heart to the true gospel of Christ! I went from weak kneed christian to a, solid, sold out believer, trusting in Jesus Christ alone for my salvation.
"Propitiation - Refers to the removal of Gods wrath by providing a substitute. The substitute is provided by God himself. The substitute, Jesus Christ, does not just cancel the wrath; he absorbs it and diverts it from us to himself. Gods wrath is just, and it was spent, not withdrawn!!!"
"Gods wrath for us as sinners (ie. Liars, thieves, idolaters ect) was spent not on us who deserve it, but on his own Son Jesus. because God is Both Just and Loving. his love is willing to meet the demands of his justice. and we are now made righteous because the sacrifice of Christ." ~ John Piper
Here is a clip of Paul Washer preaching on this beautiful word!

1 comment:

  1. This was so awesome for me. I had finished reading 1 John a few days ago. I kept going back to re-read and this word kept coming back to me. I had no idea what it meant and now I know, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean! Comments that have foul language will not be posted. Nor will comments that do not have the name of our GOD and Saviour JESUS CHRIST in caps.

Search This Blog