Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Witnessing For Jehovah

This Saturday was a day like I would have never expected. It started off pretty normal, I woke up at 6:30 AM, did my devotions, and headed off to our Mens Ministry Group. We had a great meeting which actually went longer then normal due to all the wonderful discussions that were taking place.

After Mens group I headed out to find something to do. My first Idea was to go to the local park and pass out tracts. But it was still to early and I figured not many people would be out there yet. So I decided to call Shawn to see if I could come to his work and eat lunch (or brunch) with him.

While on my way to meet up with Shawn I pass by Heritage Park Convetion Center, which is our little towns biggest convention facility, and saw a sign that read, "Welcome Jehovah's Witnesses." So I swung (or swang as we say it) my truck back around to scope the scene. I pulled in, parked my truck, sat for a minute, and thought to myself, "o.k., now what?"

I decided this is an opportunity that I couldn't pass up. So I got out of my truck and walked (a long ways) to the front doors hoping someone would try to witness to me. I was also hoping to go inside, but was afraid they wouldn't let me in because I was way under dressed. All the JW men were wearing suits, ties and carrying a briefcase of some sort. I was dressed in a t-shirt, baggy jean shorts, tennis shoes, sunglasses, a side ways hat, and my evang-a-bag. I must have stood out like a sore thumb.

Once in, I walked straight up to the "Information Desk" and asked for directions. I really wanted to see how many people were gathered in the auditorium. I also wanted to listen to the sermon for a minute just to get a feel for what they were all about. There must have been 2,000+ people there listening to a man preach on Romans 10:9. which has the addition of Jehovah instead of Lord. I finally had enough! I had to leave. I figured I would at least tract the cars in the parking lot, but when a nice JW handed me a schedule, I knew God had more planned.

 I walked back out to the parking lot with my heart pounding I knew I had to do more then tract the cars. Because I knew that they wouldn't read them anyway. then it hit me, I have to preach!!!!! Oh how my heart began to pound!! I had NEVER done that before. I made every excuse in my head not to. I called Braz hoping he would talk me out of it. Nope!! He had nothing but encouragement! I called Shawn, same thing! Not only did I get encouragement from them, as I prayed, the Lord gave me a peace beyond peace and a confidence that could have won a war.

So I pull my truck up where about 15 JW's were walking out of the lot, I climbed into the back, took a deep breath, and began one of my most prolific sermonettes ever. It was 65% Law, 10% apologetics and 25% Grace. It was a beast of a sermon and a grand total of 1 minute. Oh boy, I had no idea that a 1 minute street sermon would feel like 1 hour and take the energy of a 2 hour sermon!

But God wasn't done yet he saved the best for later. part 2 tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. First off I cant wait to read part 2. I really want to hear it so when you get it ready put it up. Also there are some gramer problems, and your math does not add up to 100%. GOD is doing something great in you bro and I can see your furits coming out. Keep it up and remember iron sharpins iron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cujo,
    One thing you need to know about me is that I cant spell, add, and have the grammatical skills of an 8th grader! Some times my computer freezes up while running spell check;) Thank you for reading it well enough to find them. I will fix the addition problem and what ever grammar I can find.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean! Comments that have foul language will not be posted. Nor will comments that do not have the name of our GOD and Saviour JESUS CHRIST in caps.

Search This Blog