Thursday, July 17, 2008

So Easy A Four Year Old Can Do It.

If you get stomach cramps, sweaty palms, and knocking knees at the thought of handing gospel tracts to a stranger. I want to tell you that you are not alone. All "tracters," at some point, are nervous when passing out tracts. The fear of rejection seems to be our guiding factor rather than the fear of people entering into death without a Saviour.

I'm here to tell you that it is normal to have fear, but by the power of the Holy Spirit we can gain the courage to overcome it. Not once and for all but for each time the fear arises. That's what courage is isn't it? Being afraid of something but doing it anyway? If it were not scary then it would just be a normal thing like putting on socks and shoes. It doesn't take bravery or courage to do that.

Today I was taught a valuable lesson in over coming my fears by my 4 year old. While at the park with my wife and kids, my 4 year old asked if he could hand out some tracts. At first I didn't want to because I was afraid that he might get rejected his first time. But after bugging me about it for awhile I gave in and handed him some tracts.

He said show me how its done Daddy so I took a deep breathe and stuck my hand out to the first person I passed. "Here Im passing these out did you get one?" To my horror he refused me right in front of my son! So I looked him in the eye and said softly "Please take it I'm trying to teach my son something." Thankfully he took it.

After that my wife said it wasn't I good idea to let my son hand any out so I took them back. He, like most 4 year olds whined about it so I made him a deal. "Here's three, but you can only hand them to kids."

My son happily took them and marched toward a group of 10-12 year olds. But before he got there he stopped and looked back at  me and said, "Daddy I'm scared." Not wanting to push him in anyway I said, "don't worry buddy lets just go". He looked at me smiled and said, "its O.K. I'm not scared anymore" then marched up the playground steps heading again for the older boys. When he got just a few feet away from them I watched as he hid for a moment behind a divider on the playground. Then stepped out with the boldness of a warrior, stuck out his hand and said, "Here, It's a gospel tract, be sure and read the back."

The kids took it and thought it was great. I am so proud of my boy. It encourages me to know that my lifestyle is such that my son thinks handing out gospel tracts with me is cool!

Other posts about my Son.
Gauge the Evangelist
Gauge the Berean

Search This Blog