Thursday, July 3, 2008

Charles H. Spurgeon: Avoid a sugar coated gospel

Read this quote from Charles Haddon Spurgeon I read on a blog this morning.

"Avoid a sugared gospel as you would shun sugar of lead. Seek the gospel
which rips up and tears and cuts and wounds and hacks and even kills, for that
is the gospel that makes alive again. And when you have found it, give good heed
to it. Let it enter into your inmost being. As the rain soaks into the ground,
so pray the Lord to let his gospel soak into your soul."
-Charles Haddon Spurgeon

****UPDATE****
I was pondering this quote through out the day yesterday. I thought about what it means to "sugar coat" the Gospel and was examining my presentation to be sure I wasn't. I began reflecting on the first couple times I shared the gospel with friends (Before I knew how). I would start with "God Loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life" A very true statement in the context of a believer, but not a great place to start. I remember thinking "wow this is easy and im getting a great response!"

This was before I learned the biblical way to present the gospel using the Law to expose sin and then reveal the grace of God through Jesus. Once I started doing it this way it suddenly became VERY HARD! People didn't like hearing about there sin. I have been told many things such as "You are being mean and intolerant." As well as while im presenting the Law you can almost cut the tention with a knife. Sometimes im afraid I might get punched. Its almost as if the demons are churning in the eyes of the sinner.

I also get flack from apposers of Law and grace evangelism. They say, "We are not under the law So why would you use it in evangelism? You should just tell people that God loves them!" I am saddened when I hear this because I almost want to question their salvation (Im not being legelistic, I just wonder if they are worshiping an Idol). But I always try to fix their understanding by saying "Your right were not under the law, once we are in Christ, but those not in Christ are under the law and will be judged by it also. And WHEN found guilty they will be sentenced to eternal torment in hell! So why not tell them that if thats the truth?" Are they convinced? Not usually, though I do get a head nod and signs of agreement, but usally they go right back to freindship evangelism. my views on frindship evangelism.

Dont get me wrong I dont think that my style of Law and Grace evangelism, by doing the good person test,  is the only way. I do however say if you are going to witness to someone Biblically and effectively you must show the sinner they are themselves a sinner. Though there is over wheleming biblical and historical evidence to use the law I wonder why would you not?

So after thinking through it, though I am no Paul Washer, I do believe I am not sugar coating the Gospel but am being as faithful to scripture as I know how. I pray that you to will join us in the fight for biblical evangelism and the use of the law by learning how to do it yourself. You can read around my blog to find great recources on futher edjucating yourself on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean! Comments that have foul language will not be posted. Nor will comments that do not have the name of our GOD and Saviour JESUS CHRIST in caps.

Search This Blog