Friday, May 16, 2008

Amazing encounter #1

IMG_2018Yesterday was amazing! I had an awesome opportunity to share Christ with an old friend. Let me tell you the story.

It all started a few days ago. I was at the barbershop when my barber, a good friend of mine, told me about a mutual friend wanting to get baptized. I thought it was awesome until he informed me that it was possible our friend might be a little confused as to what baptism actually is.

After I left the barbershop my old friend was on my mind. That’s when I remembered that I had gotten his number from my barber a few months earlier. So now I knew I had to call him but I was nervous (you know how it is calling old friends) but I knew it was my duty as a Christian to help him examine himself. So I prayed for the courage to call and the wisdom to handle it rightly. It had been over 10 years since we had heard from or seen each other and in those days I was a VERY DIFFERENT person.

I finally dialed the number and made the call. After some catching up he told me that he heard from our barber that I was Christian now and that he himself was planning on being baptized. He said that he had been baptized when he was young and “It didn’t work” and that “Maybe this time it would." So I explained to him the actual purpose of baptism. I told him that "it was an outward sign of an inward faith” and that the people witnessing the baptism should hold him accountable for his actions now. Then I told him I would love to meet with him to share with him some other truths he might not know (Like the true gospel).

Two days later I gathered up more courage to call and see if he was available to meet me. The timing was great! 30min later we met up at Fazolis (I just love their Alfred.) At Fazolis I cut right to the chase. “What do you think it takes to get to heaven?” His reply was text book, “Be a Good person and follow Jesus." I then asked if he was a “good person” of course he thought he was until I showed him the mirror of the 10 commandments. He then proved himself a liar, a thief, a blasphemer and an adulterer at heart like the rest of us.

As he heard this his whole demeanor changed, his mouth was stopped. It was beautiful! This tattooed up, 28 year old, father of 6 began to weep!!! All I could think about was
James 4:9 “let there be tears for the wrong things you have done. Let there be  sorrow and grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy.”
When I finally gave him the good news of the gospel and he realized that Jesus died on the cross and took the punishment for his sins. His tears of sadness turned to tears of joy! I then asked him if he wanted to pray he said yes and began his prayer out loud, in a busy restaurant, by saying, “Lord God, when I came in here today I actually thought I was saved” and through his tears he confessed his sinfulness and asked for Gods forgiveness!

It was so amazing that God used me to carry such a wonderful message of salvation and then to actually witness someone receive it was CRAZY!!! So please do not get discouraged in your witnessing there are many people out there like my friend that need to hear the gospel presented clearly and biblically. so stay faithful.

FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!

Updates on Shawn:

1 comment:

Please keep it clean! Comments that have foul language will not be posted. Nor will comments that do not have the name of our GOD and Saviour JESUS CHRIST in caps.

Search This Blog